Saturday, August 19, 2006

When life gives you lemons, remember, they're just lemons...

Today I had a day of introspection and learnt a lot, especially with the help of my friends.

One of the many things that I got today is that life is just life and lemons are sure to come as part of the natural cycle, so the only real choice I have is what to do with them. Which brings me to the introspection part....how do we ever really know what to do with what's thrown at us?

With so many choices, we often refer to our answers in terms of preferences, but really that's not so either. I like cookies and cream ice cream because it tastes good, and so now when I go shopping for ice cream, I choose it because I know I will like it and it is my favorite. So I choose it based on my preference, right? Wrong. Because at some point I had to choose that flavor and then choose to like it. So it is still a choice. And me continuing to buy it is really another choice I'm making. And who knows if I will always like it or not, that's just part of trying stuff out and seeing how it goes.

So I got how sometimes you just have to try stuff out, see if it works, and if not, let it go. Sometimes it's scary because it is so unknown, but it could be incredible too if it works out. And in the end, the choice is still mine. Because regardless of what I choose, I have the choice, and I am complete and whole regardless of whatever the outcome.

By the way, here is my fav cookies and cream brand! I used to live 10 mins from where they made this stuff in Oakland, yummy! And let me tell you, I took full advantage of it with my roomie in college. (No freshman 15 comments please.)

2 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about freshman 25 comments? You've gotta admit that the taste plus the comraderie was worth a bit of extra poundage.

The trap would be to eat nothing but cookies and cream ice cream. It would then lose that "special" aspect. Perhaps one should deliberately indulge in one's favorite sporadically. Then your favorite is always special while the door is left open for discovery.

I'll always argue in favor of balance.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger sacha said...

Darn right Elena! Me too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home