Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting to the gadgets and gizmos...

I have been in a state of introspection as of late, which I think stems largely from the fact that I have a lot of free time on my hands as I am just chilling applying for jobs and waiting for my back to heal completely. It is getting better and yesterday I was able to do a pretty great swim at Pepperdine's pool. I think that thinking about stuff is great, and sometimes one actually values things more once they have been given a deep scrutinizing and questioning.

However, beyond introspection, I have also been fiddling around on the computer and continue to find more cool stuff. In this posting, I'll start with some of what I consider "the basics" that I use almost on a daily basis.

  • LEISURE: One cool site is this online free book exchange for used books called Book Mooch. I have been going to the library to get books but will start to use this too.
  • LANGUAGE: I still write a lot in Spanish and I like a little reference/dictionary for words now and then and I tend to use this translation site.
  • HEALTH: I have spent much time looking for a good website that has nutritional info for all kinds of food and I think the best one I may have found is NutritionData.
  • WORK: I use tons of job search engines, but I still think Indeed is the best as it searches all the websites including Craigslist and monster.
  • WEB BASICS: I know I am WAY far behind on this one but I only recently started using Mozilla and it just makes Internet Explorer seem pathetic. So two thumbs up for Mozilla. Anyone still searching for a job should totally use it as you can have multiple tabs open rather than windows.
  • INTERNATIONAL CALLS: I used to use just Skype for my long distance calls, but if you have a bad internet connection it is not that great. So then I switched to Call2 which seems to work really well as it actually calls your landline/cell phone. And before I make the call, I now check with the World Clock as I used to call England at all the wrong times, as I know some can attest to!
Do you have any sites that you use on a daily basis for specific stuff that just rock it?

Please share as I know how late I was to jump on the Mozilla boat, but no one ever really told me to what extent it was so much better.

:)


2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Sanjiv Gajiwala said...

wow. well, there are a lot of apps you should be using and getting into. Personally, no day of mine is complete without a visit to engadget.com, where i can keep tabs on the latest and greatest in tech.
As for efficient web and blog browsing, be sure to add RSS bookmarks to your toolbar, that way you can navigate headlines quickly and easily. On indeed.com, you can set up an RSS feed for your job keywords, so you don't even have to go to the page to see if new listings have popped up. Essential for advanced browsing.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like music, try:
www.pandora.com

You'll get a chance to pick an artist you like, then hear tunes that are similar in some way....some artists you'll have heard of, others not. The site explains it quite well. Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home